Friday, March 18, 2011

Thanks for Nothing, Herb

Dear Mrs. Stream:



Thank you for taking the time to share your views with me.



I appreciate knowing of your concerns regarding Planned Parenthood organizations receiving Federal funds. Title X of the Public Health Services Act provides grants to public and private nonprofit agencies which provide voluntary family planning services, including natural planning methods and supplies, infertility services, and basic gynecologic care. I support Title X funding because I believe that it is in the best interest of our nation to take steps to promote preventive health care such as cancer screenings, breast exams, and HIV testing, as well as to reduce the occurrence of unwanted pregnancies. Grantees include state and local health departments, hospitals, and organizations such as Planned Parenthood. No Title X money can be used to provide abortion services.



On February 17, 2011, Representative Mike Pence (R-IN) introduced an amendment, H.AMDT.95, to H.R. 1, the Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, which would block all federal funding of Planned Parenthood. This amendment was agreed to by a vote of 240 to 185 and, on February 19, 2011, the House passed H.R. 1 by a vote of 235 to 189. The Senate voted on H.R. 1 on March 9, 2011. The bill was not agreed to by a vote of 44 to 56.



Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I will keep in mind your concerns should the Senate consider legislation affecting Title X funding in the future.






Sincerely,
Herb Kohl
United States Senator

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carla! I followed the link to your blog from Jill Stanek's website. This looks like the generic letter I receive from my representatives from New Mexico.

RCH