Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thanks For Nothing, Ron

Dear Carla:

Thank you for contacting me regarding abortion and abortion related services. I appreciate hearing from you.

Abortion is a difficult and divisive issue. I do not believe the federal government should be entrusted to make a very personal medical decision of this nature. Instead, I have more faith in the judgment of the woman and her physician to make the right decision based on her own personal beliefs and faith. Furthermore, I believe that all of us must do more to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, particularly teenage pregnancies, as well as support efforts to make adoption more widely available.

We must also educate teenagers about the dangers of unprotected sex and encourage parents to talk openly with their children about these issues. Recent surveys have shown several positive trends concerning teenage sexual activity and contraceptive use. Statistics demonstrate stabilization in teen sexual activity, a decline in teen pregnancy, and an increase in contraceptive use. Yet, the United States continues to face an adolescent reproductive health crisis. The rates of teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases (STD), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections remain unacceptably high.

I believe that abortions should be rare, safe and should be the result of careful consideration between a woman, her family, her doctor and her clergy. I do not believe the federal government should be entrusted to make a very personal decision of this nature. Instead, I have more faith in the judgment of the woman and her physician to make the right decision based on her own personal beliefs and faith.

I believe we need to comprehensively expand access to preventive reproductive health care services and education programs, help reduce unintended pregnancies, increase access to family planning services, prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, and reduce the need for abortion. These vital resources have already benefited our state-wide communities.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to be in touch with additional comments or questions. I also encourage you to visit my website, www.house.gov/kind, where you can find updated information, sign up to receive my electronic newsletter, and send me e-mail.


Sincerely,

Ron Kind
Member of Congress

**********************************
I receive this same generic blah, blah blah letter EVERY.TIME. I email Ron Kind about abortion!!

No comments: