Friday, March 9, 2012

The End Result

I have told my abortion story for quite a few years to quite a few people and the details are important.

The place was packed with people.
Everything was stark. White floors and walls. Hard, plastic chairs.
The workers there were rude.
I did not have an ultrasound.
I never heard the heartbeat.
I was shown a video of a bunch of red circles. I was told it was "just a bunch of cells."
I was asked by the counselor, "Will that be Visa or MasterCard today? It cost $250.
The abortionist never introduced himself. He didn't acknowledge me in any way.
I was yelled at by the assistant.
Girls were crying all around me in the recovery room.
I had peanut butter and jelly toast.
I had no idea of the years of pain and shame and guilt that would follow.

My abortion was in 1990. In conversations with others I have been told, "Abortions aren't like that anymore."

The walls are painted, the furniture comfy and cozy. ALL risks are discussed and the patient is asked if she is sure about it. Ultrasounds are routinely performed before an abortion.(Whether women are allowed to see them is another matter) The staff are nice and friendly. The abortionists are nice and talk with you. Abortion doulas are provided in some places and a recovery package(with condoms!)is sometimes given out. The price is around $400.

In these conversations it doesn't take long to realize that the other person wants to convince me and herself that abortions in this "day and age" are now safer, better, and more empowering than ever before.

Doesn't matter though does it? The place could be named The Happy Rainbows and Unicorns Women's Center for Choice Day Spa. All walls could be painted deep, rich, vibrant colors. The furniture lovely and inviting. The plants lush and green. The air smelling beautifully of burning, scented candles. The staff smiley and helpful, kind and caring. The abortionist a sweet, talkative, supportive guy. The ultrasound of the baby explained in detail. A massage, pedicure and Chai Tea Latte offered afterwards. All girls could leave laughing. Doesn't matter.

The intent of an abortion is to kill. Ending the life of an innocent preborn human being is the result of an abortion. One dead, one wounded.

Dress it up anyway you would like. Abortion kills.

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
-Isaiah 5:20

6 comments:

Aldo said...

Please invite someone to see the film OctoberBaby it is very good, We should support positive cinema when it is released.
at least read about this wonderful film, I saw it last night with my wife and children and I loved it.
Its not the kind of film that men go to see but I would recomend to many of my friends.
http://www.octoberbabymovie.net/
or recomend it on your site which I also like

Carla said...

Yes Aldo! I agree!!

We plan on seeing it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Mind if I reblog this sometime? The more people who read this, the better.

Carla said...

Hey I know you!! :)

You certainly may do that.

Shiphrah said...

I would like to reblog this as well, Carla!

Need to spread this message far and wide!!!

Carla said...

Absolutely!